Monday, March 3, 2008

Irony, Part 2

Yesterday I wrote: "In fact, I feel like irony is sort of a main principle of how things work. It seems that no one is exempt from it at some point or other."

I have continued to think a bit about this topic and thought I would explain a little more about what I meant by that. It seems like irony is just the way that things work on sort of an eternal scheme. At least, a lot of things that way. Now, don't get me wrong, I believe that God is just, and I believe that He rewards people according to what they deserve (although you might argue that His rewards are usually much, much more generous than what people really deserve, because of the mercy of Christ.) But in the meantime, there are some unjust and ironic things that will take place.

Consider, for example, these scriptures:
Matthew 19:30
But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.

Matthew 10: 39
He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

These are beautiful scriptures that actually explain the character of God's justice, but, in my interpretation, they are full of irony.

Isn't it the ultimate irony that the only sinless person to ever live on the earth, Jesus Christ, took upon Himself the sins of the world? But I am very glad that He did.

And so it seems that irony is a part of everything. Isn't that cool?

No comments: