Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Elevator music

Honestly I didn't notice when they stopped playing elevator music in the grocery store.  All I remember is that, years ago, I used to be bopping along in the grocery aisle to violin versions of Eurythmics hits and smugly thinking to myself how ironic it seemed to be playing a sanitized version of "Sweet Dreams".  I would often find myself singing along.  Sometime, only a few months ago it seems, I noticed that all of a sudden the music they play in the grocery store is not Muzak anymore but the actual songs.  By the actual artists.  With vocals.  When did that happen?

Today I found the apparent last bastion of elevator music: Apollo Burger.  As I ate my gyro with all the trimmings I noticed that the sickeningly familiar sounds of elevator music were playing in the background.  It gave me a strange nostalgia.  Apparently the world hasn't changed so completely.

1 comment:

Martha said...

I totally know what you mean! I hadn't even thought about it until I read your post, but they do play songs instead of the elevator music. Huh. I quite like the change.