Monday, February 4, 2008

"El tiempo borra el dolor."

Recently I got out one of my CDs and listened to it again. It's a collection of hits by Chabuca Granda, the great Peruvian songstress. In my knowledge of Peruvian music, Chabuca Granda seems to be universally recognized as one of the greats. I learned her song "La Flor de la Canela" while in my first Spanish class and performed it for the other students. As my knowledge of Spanish has increased, my appreciation for her lyrics has deepened. The title of this post is a line from "En la margen opuesta": "Time erases pain."

Here are some websites where you can learn more about Chabuca Granda:
Wikipedia
A biography from a music publisher
A fan site with a few interesting facts

In case you're wondering, I got interested in Chabuca Granda and Peruvian music in general through my interest in Afro-Peruvian music... check it out!

No comments: